During the Covid-19 pandemic, Samaritans launched free, confidential support helplines for health and social care workers and volunteers in England and Wales. To access this support line, call 0800 069 6222.
Changes to Samaritans’ health and social care workers support helplines
As of July 2022, changes will come to the England Staff Support Line provided by the Samaritans:
- Calls will go through to a recorded message, which will transfer staff to the core Samaritans helpline until January 2023.
- From January 2023 callers will hear a new recording informing them that this number is no longer operational. This recording will last forever.
- There will be individual call plans for those who are frequent callers to the helpline.
Even though the dedicated helpline number has closed, Samaritans is still here to support health and social care workers in England. Staff can access the main Samaritans support line if and when they need it, by calling 116 123.
There is also still a comprehensive package of health and wellbeing support in place for NHS and social care staff. This includes access to a 24hr text service, free self-help apps, training, coaching and guidance for teams and leaders, as well as the KeepingWell NCL Hubs.
- Staff can still seek specific support by texting FRONTLINE to 85258 for support 24/7.
- The wide range of health and wellbeing initiatives available to NHS staff can be accessed via NHS England » Supporting our NHS people.